As part of Global Employee Health & Fitness Month, we decided to chat with Sue Kidd, our amazing dietician! Find out how she ended up at N2 and what advice she gives to busy professionals.
- TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND. HOW/WHY DID YOU END UP IN THE NUTRITION FIELD?
That was smart you said a “little,” because you know I like to talk! I started in Dietetics fresh from high school, but after two and a half years of college, I was sidetracked. I hated chemistry, which is not cool when you’re going into nutrition. I decided to quit school and go into full-time campus ministry – no chemistry there. But a few years later I regretted not completing my dietetic degree and decided I would eventually finish.
So, seven kids and 33 years later I went back to school at the ripe old age of 51. And I happened to marry the greatest guy in the world – David. He went back to college with me to tutor me through my chemistry. Who does that?! I had a blast in school because I was older than all my professors so I turned all my classes into parties. I would bring snacks on exam days and when we had a substitute teacher we really went crazy. There are some real advantages to being the oldest kid in the class!
- YOU NOW WORK WITH N2 PUBLISHING. WHY DID YOU FEEL THIS WAS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR YOU?
I’ll be honest, I really wasn’t sure if it was at first. I was a bit apprehensive because I didn’t know what the response would be since this was a new addition to what Griffin (N2’s fitness director) was already doing. But I have been amazed how much the N2 team members have embraced me and how motivated so many are to live a healthy lifestyle. It has truly exceeded my greatest expectations – but that seems to be the way it is around here.
- WHAT MESSAGE DO YOU THINK IT SENDS TO TEAM MEMBERS FOR N2 TO INVEST IN A NUTRITIONIST?
First, N2 cares about all aspects of their lives. Secondly, our health should be a top priority. There’s no getting around it; our health affects every area of our lives. When we are healthy and energized, we are unstoppable.
- IN A NUTSHELL, WHAT IS YOUR GOAL IN WORKING ONE-ON-ONE WITH N2 TEAM MEMBERS?
My goal is to help each N2 team member to reach their personal health goals and to live at the highest level of health they possibly can.
- WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON NUTRITIONAL "PROBLEMS" YOU SEE FOR TEAM MEMBERS AT N2, AND WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS DO YOU MAKE?
The most common nutritional/health problems I’ve seen are consistency, planning ahead, journaling so they know what’s really working for their individual body, and confusion with all the nutritional advice on the internet.
Here’s my general advice for meal planning:
- Plan ahead. Decide on one day each week to plan meals and go grocery shopping.
- Keep healthy snack options like cut up fruits, veggies, hummus, guacamole, salsa, boiled eggs, roasted nuts and seeds on hand so you aren’t as tempted to buy chips and cookies.
- Keep your pantry well-stocked with the basics. It’s easier and quicker to prepare if you have most of the ingredients you need on-hand.
- Create a folder of go-to recipes and family favorites you are comfortable with that can be rotated regularly.
- Prepare extra portions when you take the time to cook so leftovers can offer you a break.
- Post the weekly menu somewhere you’ll see it often. This will help keep you on track.
- Try a healthy meal delivery service like Green Chef, Blue Apron, or Hello Fresh a few times a week in replacement of eating out.
- If you’re just not in the mood for a meal you had planned, move it to a later date and freeze whatever you can. What can’t be frozen and won’t last should be used to create another meal.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THE JOB?
My favorite part is giving Griffin a hard time. Next, I love the N2 culture. These folks are some of the hardest-working people I’ve ever met, but the way everyone works as a team is incredible. People really care about one another here and I love being in this environment. I also love working with people who truly want to move forward with their health and are willing to make the hard choices. I see it every day with the N2 team members and I absolutely love it!
- TELL US ABOUT YOUR PARTNERSHIP WITH GRIFFIN AND HOW YOUR INDIVIDUAL SPECIALTIES WORK TOGETHER.
Griffin is the best of the best! It is so fun to work with someone who is as passionate about health and wellness as I am. I love how we each have our areas of expertise but are able to blend them together to offer a comprehensive wellness program for N2 team members. For optimal health, we have to incorporate both exercise and nutrition – there’s no way around this. Griffin inspires me to push harder in what I do. We hold each other accountable so we are never just “coasting,” but always striving to offer the highest level of wellness.