Remember when Willie Wonka gave his entire chocolate factory to a little kid?
Of course you do. It’s a sweet and uplifting story that taught a valuable moral. But is it possible to take the lesson that Charlie taught us and apply it to the workplace?
At N2, we have a slide in our Culture Deck specifically dedicated to this Willie Wonka concept, only we call it: “Behaves Like An Owner.” This means we look for people, whether entry-level or seasoned professionals, to treat their actions and responsibilities as they would if they had built this company themselves.
This may appear to be a rather uncommon declaration for those used to the standard 9 to 5 corporate office world. What would serve to motivate a team member to treat their role the way the owner of the company would? Why should they be bothered to do anything more than just their proportional share of responsibility? And how would “behaving like an owner” even benefit them?
For those on the N2 team, the reason to behave like an owner is a relatively simple one: our team members have the opportunity to take ownership of their future. By doing so, not only are they making a direct, positive impact on the company and the lives of everyone involved with it, but they are also creating an opportunity for themselves to improve their personal and professional lives.
At N2, we operate as a team, and every single role -- regardless if it’s someone who works from home, works in our N2 Home Office, or works in the Field -- requires a completely integrated, symbiotic team-player attitude and mentality. If one of us succeeds, we all succeed. And if we are all succeeding, then we can all make our individual circumstances better, have a more fulfilled sense of work satisfaction, and build a healthy pathway towards a long and prosperous tenure at the company.
Behaving like an owner at N2 means being a team player who promotes unity by having a humble attitude. Our team members behave like owners by:
- caring about the reputation of N2.
- treating office equipment as if it was their own.
- avoiding wasteful spending to maintain the “function over flash” mentality.
- never waiting to be told what to do.
- never believing that a task is beneath them – even if it means picking up a piece of trash in the parking lot.
- always self-motivating, self-disciplining and self-improving.
- taking less of the credit when things go right, and more of the blame when they go wrong.
- inspiring and lifting up others around them, rather than gossiping and complaining.
- going out of their way to encourage and help their N2 colleagues.
Our team members are invested in the advancement, innovation and performance of the whole company, regardless of what role they are in. They love being able to make a direct impact on our achievements, and we equip them with the tools, training and resources to succeed in their role. We need more “owners” to help contribute to our thriving culture. Are you ready to take ownership of your future? Click here to find out more!